Promoting public understanding and support for research in Otago and Southland.
The Otago Institute is a Regional Constituent Organisation of the Royal Society of New Zealand. In many ways our activities reflect the values of the RSNZ, but more importantly a firm commitment by our members to community outreach and engagement. It is our goal to provide timely, relevant and qualified expert information to people in regional communities in order to enhance their understanding of research, give them the tools that they can bring to bear on issues that impact their lives, and thereby improve their awareness of the importance of research to their happiness and well-being as well as that of their community and country.
We undertake a number of activities that are intended to inform, educate, and enlighten all members of the community in the greater Otago and Southland region, and to support young researchers as a means to providing encouragement for the next generation of researchers. These activities include:
• Hosting public lectures
• Providing school outreach/visits
• Sponsoring Otago Institute Young Researcher travel awards
• Sponsoring of the Aurora Otago Science and Technology Fair
• Sponsoring and participating in the New Zealand International Science Festival
• Writing a popular science column - "From the Lab" - in the Southland Times
• Student travel award applications now being accepted!
• First talk of 2014 - Citizen science initiatives.
Congratulations: Travel award winners
Abhishek Gulati (Pharmacy) & Maria Pozza (Law)